Thursday, August 23, 2007

The more I consider the kingdom of God, the more I wonder what i should do with my life. One of the prof's at SEBTS spoke in chapel on Wednesday and spoke of how each person should be willing to go overseas to share the gospel. While I have no problem with missions, or even the possibility that I could end up as a career missionary, it troubled me that he presented the missionary calling as the highest possible calling. It seems to me, that rather than telling everyone to go to a foreign country (though it is a legitimate need), he should have spoken instead of the missionary life of the Christian in the world around them. The missional life of the Christian then becomes the highest calling.
It is my firm belief that the missional calling of the Christian, is the only calling of the Christian. No matter your vocation, no matter your status, if you believe that Jesus Christ died on a cross to save you from your sins, than you will tell people about it.
While their are many vocations in life, there is only one calling for the Christian. We are called to go out and make disciples of all peoples. As far as i can tell, all the world is all around you. You and I are called to live the Christian life according to Matthew 28, no matter our vocation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tim,

YOU ARE RIGHT ON THE TARGET! I could not agree with you more. You wrote what I was thinking in Chapel.

Billy